Saturday, November 24, 2012

Blame it on the T-T-T-T-T-Tryptophan

Blame it on the turkey;
You're not feeling perky.
Blame it on the gravy;
Got ya feeling crazy.

Blame it on the t-t-t-t-t-tryptophan.
Blame it on the t-t-t-t-t-tryptophan.

So,  it's the week of Thanksgiving. We have to be out of the rental by Wednesday. We're getting pretty close, but at this point, it's really stuff we need to go through and decide if we want to keep it or not, so it takes a little longer than simply boxing it all up. We spent every night at the rental, going through things. Tuesday night, our friend Kelly came over to help us clean. She is a saint! By the end of that night, we had everything confined to the front room. The entire upstairs had been cleaned and mopped, and so had the kitchen! My scooter was still parked out back (and wouldn't start). The drums were still in the basement. And we had piles of things that either needed to be trashed, donated, or shredded. 

Wednesday, Nate went over early while I was at work, thankfully! I don't think we would have finished otherwise, or at least not at a reasonable hour. But we did! Everything was out of the house, the rooms were swept and mopped, the bathroom was cleaned, and the scooter was charged and started! Everything we owned was now out of that house and on its way to the new house. Our basement is wall to wall full of stuff! (Partially because we have too much stuff, and partially because we can't put anything into the main room of the first floor since it's not finished). That's the next step! Get the things that are currently in the living room out, and finish demo so that the things that do want to live in that room, can.

But before all that can happen, it's Thanksgiving and just about my entire family is coming to my Grandma's house near DC for the day, including my brother, but not my dad. There were 18 of us, 1 brand new baby, and 6 dogs! It was quite an event! It's the first time I've seen any of them (other than my brother, who I saw while we were in Atlanta for Champs) since Nate and I were engaged. It's also the first time I'll be meeting my cousin's brand new baby boy! Just shy of 3 months old. Twas a fun afternoon and evening, but Nate and I both snacked too much prior to dinner, and were so uncomfortably full! I didn't even eat the pumpkin pie! Now, that's truly saying something! I'll try and find some pics to post up here, but I didn't take any, so I'll have to wait for my Aunt to post her's!

updated to include pictures!

preparing to fry the turkey

beers and snacks pre dinner (big mistake on the snacks!!)

Tish and Stella got thirsty apparently!

Grandma does not look amused!

But she's so darn cute!!

frying the turkey

the family at the dinner table!


Now it's friday, and I have to go to work (boo!) but it's a short day. I get home around 3:30 and Nate and I decide that we need to do something productive around the house. We decide to tackle the mattress and boxsprings! I've borrowed a Sawzall so we get to work on cutting the boxsprings. We're both a little skeptical, but it works out really well! Once Nate got the hang of the Sawzall, it went quickly. They folded in half easily. We carried them up the stairs and into the front room to lean against the mattress already up there. Now the harder part is the queen pillowtop mattress. It's just Nate and I, so this may or may not work out! We cinch the mattress down as much as we can and start to push it up the stairs. It of course gets stuck  on the ceiling, and the bits of wood paneling still on the stairs. We stand there for a bit, wondering if this is going to happen or not. With a few more giant pushes, we get that heavy thing up! We're now out of breath and exhausted! So, we lean it up against the box springs and the other mattress and decide it's time for a drink!

Luckily, a lot of the derby league has decided to meet at Bad Decisions that evening! But since it's only 6 pm at this point, we decide to remove the wood panels in the stair, and one of the baseboards.




Then we go out to Bad Decisions and meet up with some of our favorite derby peeps. Since we get there still kinda early (probably 7ish) we are also home early (because we're old and tired!)

The next day, we decide to put my desk together! It hasn't been assembled since I was living in my apartment, so I'm pretty excited to have it back! My dad designed and built it for me when I left for Grad School at VT in 2008. I stained it to match my other furniture. It goes pretty well with the stuff that Nate and I have together, so that's nice. Plus, he needs somewhere to work, since we don't really have any flat surfaces in the house right now!


Not sure exactly when we did this... But this house is now clearly ours.

We claimed it.

With a flag.


No comments:

Post a Comment